“Wreck-it Ralph” Fixes Wary Moviegoers

Walking into “Wreck- it Ralph,” I wondered if a Disney cartoon movie could still be worth my eight dollars. It is not that I am a stickler for money, but I would rather not lose money if it is preventable. I consider myself to be a closet gamer, and when I first heard about this movie, I admittedly was considerably excited. It is not very often that a good cartoon movie comes out.

I was happy with the short movie right before the main one, it was cute and well done much like what I would expect from Disney and Pixar. In the first few minutes of the movie, I became anxious as to if watching this movie was a mistake. At first glance, the movie seemed too much like a “Toy Story” parody. However, I thankfully was proved wrong. The animation is great, and the story line is even better. The characters were developed well, the storyline is clear but not obscenely predictable, and the ending is certainly lovely. At the end of the movie, people in the theater clapped. You read correctly, a diverse crowd of people clapped at a cartoon videogame movie consisting of a standalone plot.
I do not want to spoil the plot, but one theme struck my attention from the very beginning. The driving theme of the movie is this: Can someone be a good guy despite being designed for the exact opposite? At a couple of pivotal points, the bad guy motto is reiterated by Ralph, “I’m bad, and that’s good. I will never be good, and that’s not bad. There’s no one I’d rather be then me.” This theme is not a mere childish plot point. It is a deep and considerable matter that each maturing person must come to grips with. Ralph must ask himself who he wants to be and if he is willing to live with the consequences of his dreams. He must find his identity for his own sake, and then he must uncover the identity of others for the sake of the whole arcade. While this is an important theme in the movie, there are still numerous twists and turns which will keep even the harshest of critics guessing and relating with the characters which parallel the present and the videogames which remind us of our past.

Do you appreciate a clean, yet witty movie? Do you want to enjoy your next movie decision? Do you like a good arcade game? Would you like to expand your movie-going experience? Go see this movie. With an 85% fresh rate from www.rottentomatoes.com, you will not be disappointed. It is worth your time and money long after the story is over.

Posted in Features, Film, Media & Culture | Comments

About Tiffany Rowlett

Who I am I am a current freshman at Toccoa Falls College with a major in Secondary English Education and a minor in counseling psychology. I am a twin to one of the coolest people in the world- my sister Carma. I am also a daughter to an amazing lady of God by the name of Dorothy Statzer, and have a great brother as well. I am from Okeechobee, Florida, and am a pretty rugged individual because of it. Anything to do with water sounds like a good time to me. But, overall, I would rather learn more about you any day of the week rather than talk about myself; however, that would make for an unsatisfactory bio section. Stuff I Love I absolutely adore so many things and people that the list would take much too long to read, but here is a shot at a summary. I love watching ice hockey and especially if I am watching it with my friends in a rink. I love the people around me. I do not do so very faithfully, I dare say, but I do care deeply for my friends and family at the end of the day. I love creation and am such a goober for a Florida sunset, and a Georgia sunrise. I dream about Carolina backroads and Virginia hills. Life has never been the same since I saw the leaves change, and lived a full year of seasons. Beauty is not just confined to the Dirty South, but we have the best sweet tea so that evens out what it does lack in stylistic elements. I absolutely am falling in love with my savior, Jesus Christ. I love dirty Christianity. It’s like playing in the mud with your best friend during a thunderstorm- you are not too sure if you will make it back to safety the same or even alive, but you are truly living regardless of the inherent danger and irresponsibility that lurks nearby. I love the fact that I do not have to have all the right answers or even many answers at all. Even more so, I love that God is with me while I do ask questions that wilt the dreams of the ignorant, and fertilize the hope in the hurting. Falling is love is the messiest thing a person can do. In the end, life is as simple and complicated as falling in love at a coffee shop. If I didn’t know Him, I’d rather not know. If I couldn’t have Him, I’d rather be alone. Why I’m Here I’m here to learn more about and challenge myself, to learn more about who God wants me to be, and to find truth- not just memorize it. I’m also here because Toccoa has a Zaxby’s, and TFC, according to its founder, is a tree God planted (I can dig a good tree). I’m like a crazy mix of Flannery O’Connor and Donald Miller. I want to change the world, and I want to do it really quietly.