Gospel Fest 2012: Giving Worth to the King

Gospel Fest 2012 was a worship experience to remember. On April 21st, over 200 people gathered to worship God through various means. From singing, to interpretive dance, the night was filled with praise even after the service was over.

Variety does not even begin to describe the evening. People drove from hours away with the longest driving time being five hours to attend. People with incredibly different backgrounds sat next to each other. Both professors and students sang the same songs, and sat next to each other that night. Even community members joined the TFC choir to sing praise. The crowd truly resembled the family of God

The night began with an abundance of different performances. To begin the night, the Redefining Artistic Worth club quite impressively interpretive danced. Shane Alzden then rapped for the glory of his Savior. The night continued with Zikerion Davis, merely a child, singing for a supportive crowd. When he was nervous, the crowd cheered him on, and he undeniably received the largest applause of the night. After him, our very own Angelica Little used American Sign Language to translate a song. The Mt. Zion Baptist church choir worshiped through tribal music, and old hymns. The TFC choir then took the stage to lead corporate worship. The choir also consisted of members from Mt. Zion. Using contemporary music, the choir rambunctiously yet sincerely sang their hearts out. Sophomore Taylor Clegg emphatically stated that this was her favorite part of the night. I would have to agree as well. Most of the songs were not very well known to me but that did hinder any part of worship, and the variety of music was truly appreciated.

After the time of praise and worship, Pastor White from Mt. Zion spoke to the crowd. His sermon was specifically about living a life of worship. He began with a strong definition of worship by taking apart the root words associated with it then using their definition as a platform for the rest of his sermon. Using passages such as Isaiah 6 and Revelation 22, Pastor White emphatically stated that our lives should be centered around giving ourselves to God and His kingdom. White also used his testimony and numerous examples like that of Abraham and Isaac to support his point. He ended his homily with an alter call then an encouragement to the attendees to live for God’s glory and not our own.

The night was truly one to remember. If you were unable to attend because of the other events that occurred that night, you should certainly consider attending the next Gospel Fest. Tom Walker, the director of the event, was thoroughly pleased with the events and turnout of the night. He was most pleased with the authenticity of the people who attended, and the praise that was given to God despite different backgrounds and denominations.  An even bigger event is planned for next semester, and Mr. Walker is looking for more volunteers to participate. If you are interested in participating next year, joining the RAW club or talking with Tom Walker are great places to start. I hope to see you at the next Gospel Fest, I know I will be going!

Posted in Clubs, Features, Ministries | Comments

About Tiffany Rowlett

Who I am I am a current freshman at Toccoa Falls College with a major in Secondary English Education and a minor in counseling psychology. I am a twin to one of the coolest people in the world- my sister Carma. I am also a daughter to an amazing lady of God by the name of Dorothy Statzer, and have a great brother as well. I am from Okeechobee, Florida, and am a pretty rugged individual because of it. Anything to do with water sounds like a good time to me. But, overall, I would rather learn more about you any day of the week rather than talk about myself; however, that would make for an unsatisfactory bio section. Stuff I Love I absolutely adore so many things and people that the list would take much too long to read, but here is a shot at a summary. I love watching ice hockey and especially if I am watching it with my friends in a rink. I love the people around me. I do not do so very faithfully, I dare say, but I do care deeply for my friends and family at the end of the day. I love creation and am such a goober for a Florida sunset, and a Georgia sunrise. I dream about Carolina backroads and Virginia hills. Life has never been the same since I saw the leaves change, and lived a full year of seasons. Beauty is not just confined to the Dirty South, but we have the best sweet tea so that evens out what it does lack in stylistic elements. I absolutely am falling in love with my savior, Jesus Christ. I love dirty Christianity. It’s like playing in the mud with your best friend during a thunderstorm- you are not too sure if you will make it back to safety the same or even alive, but you are truly living regardless of the inherent danger and irresponsibility that lurks nearby. I love the fact that I do not have to have all the right answers or even many answers at all. Even more so, I love that God is with me while I do ask questions that wilt the dreams of the ignorant, and fertilize the hope in the hurting. Falling is love is the messiest thing a person can do. In the end, life is as simple and complicated as falling in love at a coffee shop. If I didn’t know Him, I’d rather not know. If I couldn’t have Him, I’d rather be alone. Why I’m Here I’m here to learn more about and challenge myself, to learn more about who God wants me to be, and to find truth- not just memorize it. I’m also here because Toccoa has a Zaxby’s, and TFC, according to its founder, is a tree God planted (I can dig a good tree). I’m like a crazy mix of Flannery O’Connor and Donald Miller. I want to change the world, and I want to do it really quietly.