7th Time’s the Charm

The president search is finally over! In these past few weeks, both students and the supporters of the college have been able to meet our new president, Dr. Robert Myers. The search has lasted much of the school year, and taken hours of collaboration then even longer to pray for direction from God.

Numerous people were used as part of the decision making process.  Among these people were teacher representatives Dr. Kieran Clements, and Mrs. Gina Bailey. Both were part of the core group in the search committee. Each had challenges and expectations in the search. Dr. Clements found that the hardest part for him was to consider all the qualifications and information of the applicants. Mrs. Bailey admitted that the hardest part for her was to keep the process a secret, especially to her husband. Even more challenges came with the search, and the responsibility was enormous on each member of the team. Lane Arnold, the student body representative, felt the pressure as well. According to Lane, “It was as though the vote of nearly 800 students was on my shoulders.” Despite all of the representative having different challenges and opinions of what they found important in a president, God led the final vote for Dr. Myers to be a unanimous agreement. After the long months of searching, praying, and waiting, the representatives agree that they would certainly help with the search again. However, they emphatically stated that another search should not be necessary for at least a decade!

Last Friday, April 27th, Dr. Myers spoke in a special introductory chapel. In it, the student body realized, we have a “ninja cop” for the new president. We were impressed by his resume and inspired by his words. He challenged the attenders to change Toccoa Falls College from being “the best kept secret in Christian colleges” to being at the forefront of Christian education. He also informed the attenders of his current hopes to develop the college educationally. He wishes to incorporate a nursing program and post graduate education. He admitted that there are not set plans to incorporate his dreams for the college, but he clearly indicated that glorifying God will be the primary focus in implementing all of these aspirations for the college.

There is so much more to learn about Dr. Myers than anyone would expect. If you would like to know more about the new president of our wonderful campus, you are in luck. The TFC website has a general article about him (http://www.tfc.edu/archives/8223).Tech-savvy may be a good way to describe him, but his passion for life must be experienced by more than second-hand information. If you would like to learn more about him from a firsthand perspective and missed the chapel that he spoke in, the following links are great for just that purpose. Dr. Myers has a blog (http://robertmmyers.wordpress.com/) a twitter (@robertmmyers), and a Facebook.

It has been a long process with a huge reward. Nearly every person that I asked regarding having him as our new president agreed that we have full confidence in his abilities and leadership thus far. He will start work officially on August 1, but until then, the general feeling can best be summed up from Lane Arnold, “We got our man.”

Posted in Campus News, Current Events, Features | Comments

About Tiffany Rowlett

Who I am I am a current freshman at Toccoa Falls College with a major in Secondary English Education and a minor in counseling psychology. I am a twin to one of the coolest people in the world- my sister Carma. I am also a daughter to an amazing lady of God by the name of Dorothy Statzer, and have a great brother as well. I am from Okeechobee, Florida, and am a pretty rugged individual because of it. Anything to do with water sounds like a good time to me. But, overall, I would rather learn more about you any day of the week rather than talk about myself; however, that would make for an unsatisfactory bio section. Stuff I Love I absolutely adore so many things and people that the list would take much too long to read, but here is a shot at a summary. I love watching ice hockey and especially if I am watching it with my friends in a rink. I love the people around me. I do not do so very faithfully, I dare say, but I do care deeply for my friends and family at the end of the day. I love creation and am such a goober for a Florida sunset, and a Georgia sunrise. I dream about Carolina backroads and Virginia hills. Life has never been the same since I saw the leaves change, and lived a full year of seasons. Beauty is not just confined to the Dirty South, but we have the best sweet tea so that evens out what it does lack in stylistic elements. I absolutely am falling in love with my savior, Jesus Christ. I love dirty Christianity. It’s like playing in the mud with your best friend during a thunderstorm- you are not too sure if you will make it back to safety the same or even alive, but you are truly living regardless of the inherent danger and irresponsibility that lurks nearby. I love the fact that I do not have to have all the right answers or even many answers at all. Even more so, I love that God is with me while I do ask questions that wilt the dreams of the ignorant, and fertilize the hope in the hurting. Falling is love is the messiest thing a person can do. In the end, life is as simple and complicated as falling in love at a coffee shop. If I didn’t know Him, I’d rather not know. If I couldn’t have Him, I’d rather be alone. Why I’m Here I’m here to learn more about and challenge myself, to learn more about who God wants me to be, and to find truth- not just memorize it. I’m also here because Toccoa has a Zaxby’s, and TFC, according to its founder, is a tree God planted (I can dig a good tree). I’m like a crazy mix of Flannery O’Connor and Donald Miller. I want to change the world, and I want to do it really quietly.